Saturday, October 24, 2015

Weakfish a.k.a TIDE RUNNER

>> Background Information  |  W e a k f i s h  (Cynoscion regalis) 

*IGFA all-tackle world record | 2008 | Dave Alu | 19 pounds, 12 ounces

-Range: On the Atlantic Coast of North America from Nova Scotia to North Carolina

-Target Zone: Sedge Backwaters 

-Season: Spring (May-June)   Best Time: Predawn and dusk hours from around 5:00 a.m. until just after sunrise, and 6:30 p.m. until sunset. Full and New Moons are when largest weakfish move into the backwaters

>> Allure of Weakfish : : Most weakfish caught are in the 1 to 3 pound range but once a weakfish breaks the 10-pound mark the fish then earns TIDE RUNNER status—a class all their own. Weakfish run with the tides, moving in and out and all around the backwaters, hunting underneath sod banks and deep in the channels to chase baitfish and any crustaceans that flow with the tides. 

>> My Personal Account : : I got my first Tide Runner this summer on June 18th at Sunset as the last light drained out of the sky. I was casting to the side of a deep hole and running my custom all Black Daiwa SP Minnow along the edge when my lure got slammed. The first run she ripped line side ways down the beach and then right in the wash took a second short run. The name "Weakfish" is derived from their weak mouth not associated with how they fight. I thought I had a big Striped Bass on so when I finally dragged the fish in I pulled hard and the hook ripped right out. Too much Cow Bell. Now the fish is right at my feet in the wash flopping around. My dad had to run in and grab the fish before it swam back out. She measured in at Twenty Nine & Half inches, and I am guesstimating around 9-10 Pounds.


>> Poster Tribute : : In honor of this beautiful fish and so I would always remember this day I designed and silk screen printed a Poster Series based off a custom typeface I sketched and further developed. This four color serigraph is 22" wide by 10 1/2" high.

{Limited Run of Posters, only 30 signed copies | t-shirts coming soon}
Photo Credits: Weakfish Bob Wyss, On Press Image Arzu Ozkal, Studio Print Image Gary Benzel










No comments:

Post a Comment