Sunday, February 9, 2014

Deep, Deep, Cover

My game plan today was to meter some deeper spots and try and pull out some bigger bass lurking in deep cover. I usually fish the 1/2oz Warblade in shallow eel grass flats ranging from 8 to 16 feet of water. It works great in that depth to stay in the strike zone but when I go deeper then 16+ feet I have a hard time staying in the right zone to get bit.

F I E L D   T E S T S 
{War Underspin 1/2oz}   I first tested the War Underspin in "Burnt". I matched a Sierra Slammer 5 inch swimbait in "Halloween". The thin profile of the Sierra Slammer bait works perfectly with the underspin. It seems to swim and track straighter then other thicker/wider profile swimbaits. This swimbait tapers nice toward the back and I found the bass can really collapse the whole bait in their mouth right up to the hook. The ribs on the side of bait also hold Uni Butter really well. I also tested the Underspin with a 4 inch Big Hammer in Bleeding Olive Herring. I caught fish with that combo but noticed the jig had a tendency to swim off kilter on its side. The Sierra Slammer Swimbait was the ticket and had the best balance from what I tested today. 

{Warblade 1.5oz}   I wasn't sure how such a heavy Swimjig would make the Warblade swim but it actually has better action then the lighter ones.  I fished spots from 18 to 30 feet of water with a good drift moving my boat and I had no problem staying in the strike zone. Made long casts with slow steady retrieves. Got two nice bass on it today. The bigger bass I got today were all on the Underspin and Warblade. 
.........................................................................................................................................................................











No comments:

Post a Comment